Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Caribbean Macaroni Pie by Stephan Moonesar


Stephan Moonesar is a finance student that attends Fairleigh Dickinson University. Doesn't seem like a typical food writer you think? Well, with a lot of experience in the working field, he travels all around the country flying from east coast to west coasts very often. Stephan has  a lot of exposure to different type of foods. Born and raised in a Trinidad family, ethnic food is very important to him, especially when it involves spicy food. Stephan boasts about how much he loves food and trying new dishes. Him and his girlfriend Zaira have made visiting and rating restaurants a hobby of theirs, trying all different types of food ranging from Chinese to Polish. Naturally with his fascination in food, upon exiting Fairleigh Dickinson University, Stephan decided to take a course he has always wanted to take, a food course! Now he prides himself in writing about food and critiquing the food he tries. Whether the review is good or bad, Stephan does not hold back and is brutally honest about the dish put out in front of him. Although Stephan is a financial professional for Merrill Lynch during the day, he has goals of publishing a food blog of his own comprised of his weekend journeys to restaurants all over New Jersey. If you are in New Jersey and want some great local reviews ranging from North Jersey to South Jersey restaurants, I would follow Stephan's blog right here on this website!

There is literally nothing else like it. You think I am joking, well then I advise you to challenge that first statement I made. You may have had macaroni and cheese before, most likely several times in your life time. When you think of macaroni what comes to mind? Most likely you describe it as the simple meal that everyone loves. Well this is different! It is most common in the Caribbean and is a form of macaroni and cheese that is baked together and cut into squares, divided evenly and precisely.

Ever since I was a child I remember always, especially during family events, eating and craving some of the most wonderful macaroni pie. I was born in Trinidad and that is where my family is from. So naturally, we brought over some of our favorite and most traditional dishes to the United States. In my household in particular, macaroni pie is made every other week or so, as common as the American hoagie! Must get old eventually you think? Absolutely not, because of how unique and custom you can make this dish.

Now I know you have been waiting, so let’s cut to the chase and let you know how you go about making macaroni pie. The ingredients that are required to prepare this dish is the following: Your choice of pasta (this part is all up to you) and cheese. In addition you’re going to need onion, garlic, scallion, and green peppers to add a little taste and flavor to the dish. As always you also have to have milk, eggs, and butter. But, this secret and important ingredient is the hot pepper that will be put in a blender mixed with a little bit of milk. Sounds a bit awkward right? Well, maybe, but without this mixture the macaroni pie would simply just be a baked version of macaroni and cheese. Nothing special in my opinion don’t you agree?

Time to cook! Grease a casserole dish large enough for how large you want the pie to be. Also, don’t forget to heat the oven to about 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Now mix the macaroni in a large bowl with the butter and add your choice of cheese. Feel free if you love a particular type of cheese to add it in here, craft it to your liking! While you mix the macaroni start slowly adding all of the seasoning mixture, eggs, and milk until the cheese starts to melt. After you have mixed it thoroughly and completely, pour the mixture into the baking dish and top off the dish with another layer of cheese. Bake this for about 40-50 minutes until you can see the cheese on top begin to look golden and crusty. After you think it is done, pull it out, let it cool off for about 20 minutes or so and then serve this piece of perfection to your lucky audience!

Literally from the first bite, to the very last bite, the taste never gets old. Now where the addictiveness kicks in is your choice of spices and herbs. The spicier it is the more satisfying and enjoyable it is in my opinion. Not a huge fan of spices? That is fine, because the melted cheese mixed in with the hot moist pasta is just as satisfying. I can assure you this will be a meal you will be delivering to your family every Thanksgiving!


6 comments:

  1. Stephen, I've enjoyed how you have taken such a simple dish and made it sound tasty. How you have given the reader the chance to change this dish to be their own. It is a classic meal that I believe everyone has had or made. As you added the twist to make it spicy or add different herbs makes it even more attractive to try. I like that you can also have this dish anytime not just Thanksgiving. You have made the audience feel part of your cooking of Marconi & Cheese. I find that awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephen,

    This piece was so well written. As I read I could almost taste the macaroni pie. I'm not the biggest fan of mac and cheese but I'm eager to try out your way and see if I like it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

  3. Mac and cheese is a dish that I love, love, love. I believe that the ingredients are so important in this dish. The types of cheese that is used, the savory flavor and of course the way the noddles are cooked. You nailed it for me with your description of this dish. I love the recipe and definitely will be making this dish myself. Thanks for an outstanding food experience through your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this dish. I think I am going to try a similar version at home for my kids. I really love mac and cheese and I think this pie will satisfy my love for chesse and pasta. Thank you so much for giving me a new idea, I will definitely add a vegetable or two!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This article was such a nice easy read, I felt like you were sitting chatting with me.I loved how your words just flowed. The recipe for the macaroni pie sounds wonderful, great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting recipe which comes from something I eat every week. It seems a little spicy for my five year old but i will make it with my teenage daughter. We both love spicy food. Thanks for the twist on macaroni and cheese.

    ReplyDelete