Sunday, March 31, 2013

Tasteful Turkey, Not Just For Thanksgiving Anymore! by Portia C. Langston



Portia C Langston is in her junior year at FDU and strives every single day to make it through. She is a single mother of the best 6 year old little girl that ever walked the earth and thanks God every single day for bringing this angel into her life. Portia is the middle child of 5, 2 older siblings and 2 younger siblings. Portia really does not regret anything that she has been through in life and takes nothing for granted. Portia loves to go on day and overnight trips with her daughter. She loves spending time with family filled with plenty of aunts, uncles, and cousins to last a lifetime.  Since her grandmothers passing of lung cancer in 2008, Portia likes to keep the tradition of a Turkey Wing diner when the family gets together once a month. Since everyone has such hectic lives, the families once a month gatherings are in remembrance of her.

      Who said Turkey is just for Thanksgiving?  If you can have Turkey on the holidays, you sure
enough can have it on a random Sunday….right? Well cooking a whole Turkey might be a bit much 
for a random Sunday for you, but Cooking Turkey Wings for the family is sure to hit the spot for the 
entire table. Although, back in my “Hey Day” early 20’s, I had no interest in cooking, by the 
mid-20’s I was all over the kitchen trying to get things right and making things up on my own. Now 
in my late 30’s, I have since perfected things but I'm still making things up on my own. One thing 
that I learned from my grandmother was how to make a great Turkey Wing diner that will be sure to 
have the house smelling like good cooking for days.

       I line a dozen wings onto a baking sheet and lightly cover them with low sodium
seasoned meat tenderizer. Letting the tenderizer sit on the wings for about 20-30 minutes, I then
cut about 10 small red potatoes into cubes of 4. I take about 5 or 6 full figured carrots and chop
them into circles, not fine slices; I’m not looking to make carrot mush just some really tender
carrot slices. After washing my crock pot out, I find a place for it on the counter and turn it on
low heat to get it ready for the goodness that will soon simmer for the next eight hours.

 

        I remember my grandmother adding a mouth watering aroma to our entire third floor
apartment with the best Sunday diners that I could ever ask for. The thing I remember most about
it was that she did it so effortlessly and with so much love and tenderness in her heart. Even if
one came over to visit with no expectations of eating Sunday diner they could not help but take a
bit of the goodness that lay within. The way she took so much pride in what she was doing, I
would ask her why she did it with a smile on her face all the time. She would respond “We are
blessed to have food to eat, why not smile about it”. She would give me the same answer every
single time. It was our moment.
            
          I then combine the seasoned wings with one full packet of Lipton Onion Soup Mix into
an oven bag. After shaking the oven bag until the contents are all evenly coated, because I am a
true onion lover, I then add a chopped onion into the oven bag to add zest to the flavor of the
wings.  Keep in mind, adding any other ingredients for taste is at one’s discretion. I then place
the bag with contents inside into the refrigerator to marinate. After a minimum of an hour of
marinating I place all contents of the bag, potatoes, and vegetables in the crock pot that has been
already placed on low heat, letting cook over night having a happy nights rest and looking
forward to a happy home aroma in the morning.
         It’s the smell of it all, the smell of the hot roasted potatoes. The sensational aroma
of the sweet cut up carrots that have in the last 8 hours turned into the perfect tender. The heavy scent of onion and warmth fill the house waking me up to the happiest reason to smile on that
morning. I do remember how my tummy always did a happy dance every time I thought about
the tender wings placed before me ready to devour. Because my daughter does not like potatoes
unless they come in the form of the infamous French fry, I usually make her a serving of yellow
rice as a substitute. 



            I love making this Turkey Wing dish because it always takes me back to that
place when my grandmother was alive and Sundays was the time of the week that we could sit
down together and just spend time over a great hot meal. After my own mother’s passing when I
was a little girl, my grandmother became my rock of a go to woman. When I needed help with
something or advise on someone she would be right there to lend an ear or give her words of
wisdom. Our Sunday dinner together was something that we both looked forward too.

            I look forward to teaching my daughter how to make these Turkey Wings as soon as she
is old enough to dibble and dabble in the kitchen. I want to make sure that we always have
mother daughter time with each other and that she can take this receipt, holding onto it, making it
her own through her years like I did through mine and grandma did through hers.



2 comments:

  1. Portia, I like the way you are passing the tradition down to your daughter and keeping the thoughts of grand-mom through making this meal. As this is a meal that is quick, easy, fulfilling and taste great. I like that you incorporated that you shared your personal thoughts on how grand-mom was that rock and had that knowledge to help you in the future. As you, I too miss my grandmother as she was our Rock. It seems that the movie Soul Food talked or reminded me and I would say you of our lives because Big Ma was the person to go to when times where hard or confusing. Thanks for sharing this great story and hope that your daughter will value the time shared with her through meals that you teach her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Portia,

    The recipe for the turkey wings other than on Thanksgiving is inspiring. You have captured the essence of your relationship with your grandmother in your writing a person can relate and feel that you enjoy family time in this way to pay homage to your grandmother. I'm sure your time with your daughter teaching her this family honored recipe will be time well spent. Thanks for the wonderful written story.

    ReplyDelete