Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Hated Peanut Butter Sandwich by John H


John H is of American decent who has an appreciation for American culture and foods such as the peanut butter sandwich. John has been happily married for about twenty years. He has four great children who are all in school. His life is fulfilling and sometimes chaotic. Graduating Fairleigh Dickinson this year is a milestone which will be fully appreciated upon completion. John has enjoyed his tenure at FDU and future endeavors look bright and limitless.

I have always admired the peanut butter sandwich.  The simplistic nutrition which it represents has been challenged recently to mean much more than food. It may be possible to discover the basis of the newfound controversy in the sandwiches history. The origin of peanut butter dates back to 1880. The inventor was Dr. Ambrose W Straub (Stratley, 1).  Dr. Straub thought to crush peanuts into an edible food for his patients with bad or no teeth so they could get the protein they were missing in their diet (Stratley, 1). If the mother of invention is necessity, then peanut butter must be considered a recipe for the improvement of lives. However there are some who see peanut butter as a threat. Some today consider a peanut butter sandwich a symbol of “white privilege”. It’s a good thing Dr. Straub saw peanut butter in a different light. He saw peanuts as nutrient rich and crushed them into a tasty treat which could be served on bread. The peanut butter sandwich has been a lunchtime staple at home and at schools for generations.  Hopefully the criticism of white privilege will end up in the garbage along with the protests of a few clouded minds.

 The peanut butter creation resolved a nutritional dilemma. Understanding how the claim to racism came about is a mystery. Peanut butter actually has a different claim to fame. People simply like the taste.  According to Stratley,” Dr. Straub brought peanut butter to the world fair in 1893 where the crushed peanut was first introduced to the world” (Stratley, 1). Dr. Straub recognized his peanut paste was a great protein substitute since it contained sufficient nutrients. It is a viable alternative for folks who could not eat meat. The Patent office even issued Straub a patent. “On February 4, 1903 Dr. Straub received patent number 721,621 for a mill for grinding peanuts into butter” (Stratley, 1). Another great advantage of peanut butter is that it does not need refrigeration.  It can last for many weeks in the same container retaining its freshness. It was inevitable that peanut butter would become commercially produced with all these benefits as well as its great taste.

On occasion science creates a simple product which becomes loved by the public. Apparently sometimes it can be hated as well. Peanut butter is a living testament.  According to the History of Peanut Website, “By 1920 the crushed peanut paste of Dr. Straub was so loved it was mass produced under the Skippy and Peter Pan brand name” (Stratley, 1). Who would have guessed a controversy would develop in the twenty first century. I have memories during my childhood of my friends and I having lunch in the school cafeteria. Most of us who brought our lunch from home brought a peanut butter sandwich of some type or another. Sometimes I would have peanut butter and grape jelly…sometimes strawberry. It is interesting how peanut butter compliments almost any flavor of jelly. I would have to say thumbs down to mint though.  Peanut butter even made it into cookies and cakes. Who knew the crushed peanuts of Dr. Straub were so versatile and yet controversial.

I was convinced of peanut butter’s never ending appeal until the headlines were printed. My family remained in the dark. My son is a perfect example of a child who knew where his peanuts were buttered. He would only eat peanut butter and butter sandwiches during his toddler years. From age three to age five he devoured them. He demanded them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I always thought the butter in peanut butter was figurative. However my son took the recipe and made it a literal representation. Hence the butter was actually butter…four pats to be exact.  He has outgrown his appetite for the sandwich but still remembers how they were a staple in his life for so many years. He has moved on to fast food, pizza, and chicken wings. I never will forget asking him what he wanted for lunch…even though I already knew. I had it ready made too! Good for us we did not live in Oregon. I don’t know how he would have taken the news. He probably would have laughed.

 Surprisingly peanut butter sandwiches are not loved everywhere or by everyone. Here are the details. Taking a break I overheard a cable news channel report there was a claim the famed peanut butter sandwich was racist. How could this be? A sandwich having racist connotations seemed to be absurd. After all I was never threatened by a taco or fried dumplings before. The assertion by a grade school principal against one of America’s lunchtime and school favorites produced the headline, ‘WHITE PRIVILEGE’? PORTLAND PRINCIPAL CLAIMS PB&J SANDWICHES COULD HOLD RACIST CONNOTATIONS (Hallowell, 1). I had to investigate this further since I did not want to be guilty by association. It appears Verenice Gutierrez, principal at Harvey Scott K-8 School, in Portland, Oregon claims the sandwich does not meet the demographic needs of the diverse student body (Hallowell, 1). I thought peanut butter demonstrated its deliciousness to the masses. But apparently peanut butter was hated by a few. I also did not realize sandwiches had demographics. I must have missed that day of school.

 I’m not sure if culture shock was expressed by kids who were served peanut butter sandwiches. But if I visited Japan I would expect to see sushi. I think peanut butter is being used as a scapegoat for a bigger issue…assimilation and indifference. Hopefully school principals have better things to do than pick on lunch. But to pick on a peanut butter sandwich is just plain wrong.  It seems to me such a statement of white privilege is an exaggeration. I do not believe the sandwiches are forced upon the student body. In turn I do not believe I could be forced to eat sushi either…even though I would voluntarily…YUM!  I believe calling a sandwich a symbol of racism is ridiculous. When did the sandwich stop providing the taste and nutrition kids love. I say let the student body of the Harvey Scott School speak. What do they think?  It is unfortunate an American staple in school cafeterias for generations is hated at all.

  I remember in my youth I loved peanut butter. It seems unfathomable that today it is associated with white privilege. The last time I checked any privileges for anyone were discriminatory.  For example affirmative action was found by court decision to be discriminatory. If the demographics of the student body clash with peanut butter then I would say do not make them eat the stuff. The last time I was in grade school there were two choices for lunch.  Most often peanut butter sandwiches were brought from home. It’s really funny because many kids today throw away their lunches no matter what it is. I never saw the racial connotations involved as some claim today…only something to eat. It seems to me a big deal about nothing. It’s probably just someone crying foul when there are subsidies involved. Maybe they want more. I would not however recommend opening a peanut butter distribution in Portland. Sales to schools would not be very lucrative.



Works Cited

Stradley, Linda. "History of Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich." History of Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Feb. 2013. http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Sandwiches/PeanutButterJellySandwich.htm

Hallowell, Billy. White Privilege? Portland Principal Claims PB&J Sandwiches Could Hold Racist Connotations." The Blaze. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Feb. 2013. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012/09/11/white-privilege-portland-principal-claims-pbj-sandwiches-could-hold-racist-connotations/#



1 comment:

  1. I think your paper on the peanut butter sandwhich was great! I did not ever think anyone would call a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich racist or say it did not meet demographice. I am shocked and appauled, because I lived in an inner city where people at peanut butter sandwhiches and I moved to a more affluent neighborhood, where the kids still at peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches just as much. This article was very interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete